Graceburn Gardens is an Edwardian home built in 1916 in the Arts and Crafts style. It retains authentic heritage architectural features like cedar woodwork, fireplaces, ceiling roses and elegant double French doors. Next to one of the four fireplaces you will find a servant’s bell, a reminder of gracious origins when there were servants’ quarters out the back along with a butler’s scullery, outdoor laundry and toilets. Now we enjoy a different kind of luxury with a bathroom for each bedroom and central heating in addition to the romance of open fires.
Graceburn Gardens was known for 80 years as Congleton. Congleton was the maiden name of Annie Osborne who owned the property from 1933 until 1973. Ownership of Congleton then passed through three more families before being purchased in 2013 by the current owners.
Graceburn Avenue flanks the north and west boundaries of the property and Grace Burn itself flows through the valley between the property and the township of Healesville. As a new chapter in the history of the property begins, the name Graceburn Gardens fits with both its geographic locality and its new purpose.
In the gallery of photos above, the black and white pictures are from the 1930s and the coloured pictures are from the 1950s. Our thanks to Anne who generously shared some of her memories of Congleton with us.
454 Maroondah Highway